Who is still allowed to drive around town?
Car Free Sunday applies to everyone, except for public transport, taxis, buses, emergency and security forces, provided with a legitimation, as well as for the diplomatic corps. The maximum speed is limited up to 30km/h everywhere.
For derogation requests, please click here.
When is the Region 'closed'?
Between 9.30am and 7pm. The closing and the re-opening of the entrances to the Region and the tunnels will happen gradually. Therefore, there might be some traffic nuisance outside these times. As a result of the activities and celebrations, the streets in certain neighbourhoods might also be closed longer. So it is no use hurrying to the entrances to Brussels; this to avoid congestion and safety problems.
What about public transport?
The STIB will provide free public transport! The service level will be reviewed with a considerable reinforcement on most of metro, tram and bus lines.
Rent a bike?
Looking forward to enjoy the absence of cars on the 19th of September or to test a bicycle for your daily commute during the (European) Mobility Week in Brussels? Rent a bike at:
- Les Ateliers Vélo Voot : Boulevard du Triomphe, 40 1160 Auderghem from 10am to 7pm. Rental of second-hand bicycles City or mountain bike: 3€ for 1/2 day 6€ for the day. No reservation required. Bring your identity card.
- Pro Velo: via www.provelo.org. Reservations must be made in advance, payment is made onsite.
How do you get to Brussels?
Use public transport as close to your home as possible. By car you can drive to :
- Parking Stalle: 292 Petite Drève du Maréchal, 1180 Uccle. Access via the Ring - follow exit 18 Ruisbroek.
- Parking C: Heyzel - Chaussée Romaine 1020 Brussels. Charge: €10/day. Capacity: 8,000 spaces. Access : Signposted on the Ring - follow Exit 7A Chaussée Romaine.
- Parking Ceria: Access via the roundabout Boulevard Josse Leemans. Access via the Ring - exit 16 Sint-Pieters-Leeuw
- Parking Brico Plan It: 1301 Chaussée de Mons, 1070 Anderlecht. Access via the Ring - exit 16 Sint-Pieters-Leeuw
- Parking UCL: access via the Ring - exit 2 Wezembeek Oppem
Even on Car Free Sunday, some cars are permitted to drive
An accident can happen very quickly. There is only one rule to respect in order to prevent disasters: comply with traffic regulations. In any case do not use the tunnels! While on your bike please take into account the traffic lights, traffic direction and priority rules! Mind your children, the place for pedestrians is the pavement!
Bicycle pedagogical repair workshops
A problem with your brakes, a squeaky chain, a flat tyre ? Join one of our workshops to learn how to solve the problem with the help of one of our professional technicians:
- 95, Rue Voot, 1200 Woluwe-St-Lambert: 10am - 7pm
- 40, Boulevard du Triomphe, 1160 Auderghem: 10am - 7pm
- 171, Rue Gray, 1050 Ixelles : 10am - 7pm
> Organised by the Ateliers de la rue Voot